Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Roxie is home, not doing so well.

Last night I brought Roxie home from the hospital.  Her blood sugar was lower than when she got there.  The prognosis isn't good and I'm not handling it well at all.  The doctor sent me home with some special food to push every 4 hours with a syringe.  I put her on my couch and started to prepare her food and she went into seizures.  It was very scary.  She barked and made noises I've never heard her make before.  I syringe fed her some pancake syrup and the seizure stopped, but she went limp and looked dead save for her breathing.  It was awful, I cried like a baby.  Joy wanted to take her to the vet and have her put down but I couldn't do it.  I pushed more syrup into here and in 10 minutes she was wide awake and running around like a brand new baby.

Now, I'm feeding her syrup along with her diet every 4 hours to prevent the seizures and it seems to work.  It's not a good long term plan but at least it makes her happier.  I have a sinking feeling in my gut that this won't work long term and I don't know what to do.  I'm kind of in a state of panic myself, I really love my Roxie and I can't face losing her right now.  I only pray that the prednisolone will start to inhibit her insulin production so that she will have a more stable blood sugar and a better life in her remaining days.  I'm so freaking sad about this that mere words can't even begin to describe my feeling of loss.  I love you Roxie...


No comments: