Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - no sound fix

The following is information I found by searching the internet for making the sound work in my WolfET installs. I found this information in 2 seperate forum posts and I take no credit for the accuracy of this information.

I have tried this on 3 different systems of mine, and it works on all 3. I have no idea why the commands in the first group do not match the second (i.e. sudo echo... vs sudo sh -c "echo...")

I personally used the 1st group when I tested and found it to work perfectly. The second group was found when I was looking a permanant fix (holds after reboot). I would guess they both do the exact same thing but use a slightly different command.

Older games like Wolf: Enemy Territory and Quake3 do not support ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture), the older games support OSS (Open Sound System) . The commands below direct the game to use OSS.

For WolfET
As root user (sudo -i) type:
sudo echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

For Quake3
As root user (sudo -i) type:
sudo echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

The commands I posted only effect the games. After I'm done with the game everything else works good like Gaim and Rhythmbox. The commands I posted are only good for that session, after a reboot, I have to re-enter commands.
Try type this on terminal

sudo sh -c "echo 'et.x86 0 0 direct' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss"

sudo sh -c "echo 'et.x86 0 0 disable' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss"

Then test the game. If sound works, you can apply this fix permanetly by typing in terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

and add these lines end of file

echo 'et.x86 0 0 direct' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo 'et.x86 0 0 disable' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
exit 0




2 comments:

plastique said...

Thank you, it helps me. Good game :)

Bucknasty said...

You're welcome. Always glad to help.