Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - BETA

I installed the beta of 8.04 a few days ago. I only test drove it for a day. From what I saw it's very impressive. I would have left it on and just kept updating until the final release were it not for being able to properly install AmazonMP3 Downloader. It was an i386 deb file that requires a force install on my x86-64 system. It works fine under Gutsy (7.10) but not under Hardy (8.04).

Anyway, I've decided to do a clean install with all the updates and then image the drive so that I can fine tune 1 piece at a time. All this will wait until the final release in a few days. That will eliminate pulling in so many updates and revisions.

Firefox 3 is awesome as is Thunderbird with the Lightening extension. It's faster and operates more logically with things like sorting the bookmarks and how the buttons work. The Lightening extension is vastly improved in it's layout and feature set. I just can't even go into detail because there is so much to brag about.

Gnome is faster and smoother too. I was going to do my regular tweaks of the system by starting with disabling indexing but I can't find the tool anymore. I'm thinking indexing is not included by default anymore but I could be wrong. I'll have to wait for the final release and start asking questions on this one.

Open Office 2.4 is much improved. It opens faster and that was my biggest complaint with this application.

I found no regressions in hardware support so far. Everything on my main system was detected and supported out of the box. I'll have to wait and see how it all goes on my laptops and other wireless systems.

The new wallpaper is an improvement but I still don't like it much. I wish they would make a couple of different themes to actually choose from during the install. I would prefer a blue theme to an orange and brown one any day.

That's it for now, gotta run...

No comments: